Organizer Guidelines (PDF Version)
Here are some guidelines that will help you plan who to invite and how to schedule your MBI workshop.
- Number of invited participants: The number of workshop invitees is approximately 35. This number includes speakers and non-speaking participants.
- Timing of invitations: MBI plans to send invitations to speakers and participants about one year before the workshop.
- Diversity is very important to both NSF and MBI. Please keep in mind gender, ethnic, geographic, institutional and scientific diversity for invitees.
- The MBI Board of Trustees requires the Director to track diversity in MBI workshops and asks that at least 20% of invited speakers and 20% of invited participants be women and that at least 20% of invited speakers and 20% of invited participants be men.
- The Division of Mathematical Sciences at NSF funds MBI. A primary goal of MBI is to bring together researchers from the math sciences and the biosciences; indeed, most successful MBI meetings have substantial numbers of mathematicians and of life scientists. To achieve this goal, we count as a mathematician anyone with an appointment in a math sciences department or anyone with a PhD in one of the mathematical sciences.
- Number of talks. Our feedback indicates that fewer talks and longer breaks lead to more interaction and happier participants. Schedules for previous workshops can be found on the MBI website http://mbi.osu.edu.
- Length of talks. Typically, workshops have three or four one-hour talks a day, although some workshops have a larger number of shorter talks.
- Workshop schedule. Lectures normally begin at 9:00am. A continental breakfast provided each day at 8:30am and the program day ends by 4:30pm or 5:00pm.
- Workshop entertainment: Add the following events to your schedule (days are flexible; this is based on a M-F workshop):
- Monday 5:00pm – 7:00pm: Reception with poster session
- Thursday 6:00pm – 9:00pm: Workshop Dinner
MBI Staff and their Roles
Feel free to contact them!
Key Workshop Duties: Sends invitations to speakers and participants based on input received from the organizers and the Director
Key Workshop Duties: Provides front desk support, administers travel reimbursement, makes participant packets and materials
Key Workshop Duties: Sends emails, processes registration, administers travel reimbursement
Key Workshop Duties: Provides IT support for speakers and presentations, prints posters
Key Workshop Duties: Makes changes to MBI website, provides support for online application
Key Workshop Duties: Creates promotional materials, takes photos and video